Metis Black is one of those names you hear in the sex-positive world that inspires reverence. Principled and unwavering in her ideal of quality sex toys, Metis started a conversation about body-safe materials which quickly turned into a revolution … that revolution begat her company Tantus, Inc.
Metis believes in basic sex toys that get the job done, without all bright and sparkly finery that some enjoy. Simple, well-made toys that are free of any chemicals that might be harmful to your health. More than just a manufacturer though, Metis believes in good sex education an follows that up with a comprehensive section on the Tantus, Inc. website. Chock full of articles on how to find a sex-positive doctor to her own panel on toxic toys at the sex education conference CatalystCon it’s clear her commitment to supporting and informing her customers about sex is important. In fact, just yesterday Tantus announced that veteran sex educator and author of “Sex with the Lights On” Ducky Doolittle has come aboard to to be Tantus‘ Education Coordinator. Ducky will be performing workshops on behalf of Tantus and providing trainings for retail customers and distributors among other duties. The hiring of Ducky Doolittle to represent the Tantus brand and it’s beliefs is further confirmation to me, that Metis is committed to sex education just as much as she is to safe, fun and beautiful toys.
So what kind of products does Metis choose to occupy her own nightstand? I’ll let her tell you …
Five Sex Toys …
Since 1998, as founder and president of Tantus Inc., I’ve been on the forefront of sexual education and safe effective sex toys as an industry leader. And yes, I’m a toy slut. Not many people in the industry will admit that, a significant amount don’t even play with toys, but I have always got my eye out for what is intriguing, and I own a vast collection of amazing sex toys.
What I’m not is a techno buyer. I have two Violet Wands (one a German deluxe model and one that was my Great-Grandmother’s from the 20’s), an e-stim machine because someone wanted us to make products for it, but I don’t tend to have much interest in the typical multispeed rotational internal devices. Vibratex was amazing in they gave me three different “rabbit” style vibrators“ to try back in the day- one which actually worked for me, but it taught me that bells and whistles just really aren’t for everyone and definitely they aren’t for me. I don’t appreciate internal vibration at all and external vibration for me needs to be powerful. I keep only one battery style vibrator near my bed and it’s a titanium bodied vibrator, powered by 3 lithium batteries, created by a company Elemental Pleasures who unfortunately isn’t around anymore. (*I found the site and it appears the company has reappeared and you can purchase their vibrators HERE - LC)
I LOVE dildos and butt plugs, and while a basic dildo didn’t make my top 5 list, it would be a realistic silicone dildo that was 5 3/8” diameter. (*Personally, I love (and use) my Tantus Echo Vibrator as a dildo – LC)
Five Favorite Toys …
1. Black Widow Connoisseur Harness* by Tantus (SheVibe is pre-selling) – This is the harness I’ve wanted from the first time I strapped one on. It’s got HUGE attitude and it feels so amazing against my body. You really have to feel the quality of the leather and see the detailing close up. In honesty this line has been in the works since 2002, so Tantus took it’s time until we could really do it right and I’m pretty sure everyone will agree— we did. (* I saw this in person and you are going to LOVE how it feels. – LC)
2. Saturn by Inner Space – Ray Cirino is an amazing designer who is legendary. He designed all the toys for the centerfolds of the old Penthouse magazines back when the budget was significant. My favorite of those shoots was a gilded bird cage theme with butt plugs with feather plumes, He was one of the first people making body safe products out of quality materials, Lucite and steel, and explaining why he chose the materials he did. He played with the toys and he could tell you intimately why each design was what it was. The toy is no longer available and he’s gone on to work on designs for sustainability projects, but he is one of the grandfathers of sex toy design. I traded Ray a Bend Over Beginner Kit for mine.
3. Ryder plug by Tantus - The Ryder just really does meet all my criteria for what a plug should be. It took us three prototypes to get the curve from the shoulders to the neck exactly right- but we did it. I’ve never played with a plug that was so comfortable going in, or coming out.
4. Pure Wand by Njoy - Greg DeLong is another one of those amazing designers that actually plays with toys and loves what he does. I was lucky to be introduced with Greg as he was meeting with the buyers from Babeland back in 2004. In fact the buyer brought me into the meeting. I’ve always loved playing with metal toys, but until Greg came they were all industrial, made for men. Greg made them elegant. The Pure Wand is pure genius.
5. Plug Ins - I have three plug in vibrators in my dresser drawer. A Magic Wand, an Erosillator and a 7 in 1 Wahl. The one I use most often is The Magic Wand, but the one I recommend most to others, especially women who’ve never orgasmed, is the Wahl. The coil vibrator gets the job done, is inexpensive and very reliable. It’s also available where the other products aren’t. I think it’s the best beginner toy and it sets you up for a lifetime of savvy sex toy connoisseurship.
… and a lube.
You are going to get me in trouble with this because all the high quality lube manufacturers are dear friends— I used to write a lot of industry articles on lubricants. I’m going to have to say Pjur because I love silicone lubricant and their Light Love is just luxuriant. Also Richie Harris, President of Pjur USA, was the first person in the industry who was selling silicone lubricant and explaining to the industry why silicone. Others started producing silicone lube because Richie was doing such amazing business
Tantus was founded on the belief that each person has the right to a healthy sex life and that sexual health encompasses many aspects of physical and mental well-being. Tantus was one of those companies who changed an entire industry and believes we must listen to our past to pave our future. Tantus believes that a foundation of education will help people live better and happier lives. Tantus believes that our past obligates us to a stewardship for the future of sexual health. Tantus believes that our products and brand should be driven by passion and integrity. Tantus believes that the simple approach is usually the right approach. Tantus believes that with the right people at the right job we can accomplish anything.